Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Hard 48 Hours

As some of you know, the past two days have been the hardest for Alex's family. It began Monday morning when they entered Alex's room to find him "posturing". This is a very bad sign. After some questions to the nurse, the doctor came and met with Kim and Anita. He informed them that they had finally been able to assess his neurologic condition and that the news was not good.

The doctor told them that there was a very small chance of any meaningful recovery.

This, of course, sent waves of sorrow throughout the family. Mike, Andrea, and Kent came back to the hospital to speak with the doctor in hopes of gaininng clarification. They were joined by Alex's grandmother and grandfather and two of his uncles.

When the doctor came into the Quiet Room on Tuesday morning, he had no new information. The brain had suffered a terrible injury. The medical teams spent the first week just trying to get his breathing in line and so they had not had the opportunity to assess his neurological status. The next week was spent trying to stabilize the pressures in his head and the rest of his body. It wasn't until Sunday that they were able to clamp off the drain and evaluate his brain's response.

Unfortunately, fluid was continuing to collect around the brain and his body was not able to absorb this. The doctor was very pointed in his discussion and helped answer some of the family's remaining questions. In the end, he restated the most devastating news, "He has a minimal chance of any meaningful recovery." At best, Alex would spend the rest of his life in a nursing home being cared for by others.

The family cried, held each other, and prayed. But in the end, everyone was in agreement that this would never be Alex's wish. In fact, the family was convinced that he would be mad at us all if we chose this for him. The primary concern was that Alex would not suffer any pain. The doctors assured us this would not happen.

In the end, the family determined to honor Alex's wishes and in the process help save the lives of others. The Organ Donation Team was called in. It took quite a while to find all the necessary matches but at 12:35 a.m. this morning, they took him to surgery. At least some good came from this horrible event.

The family is heart broken and your prayers are still appreciated. Please honor the family and Alex by remembering him today. If Alex ever told you a story - and he had many - share it with someone else. My favorite was his class field trip to the slaughter house. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

We will keep you informed as arrangements are made.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our deepest sympathies to your whole family. I am Marcia's sister-in-law. Yesterday, Alex and your entire family, lay heavily on my heart and I was so sad to read the news this morning. I pray that God will give you all the comfort and peace you need in this very difficult time. May you find peace knowing Alex is with our Savior and suffering no more. God Bless, Pam, Randy, Lindsay and Troy Bane

Abby's Mom said...

My deepest sympathy to Alex's family & friends. I am Abby's mom.
I have followed all of these postings since Abby put them on my computer. I never got to meet Alex but yet felt like I knew him through all of your comments and my daughter. My prayers have been ongoing since I first learned of Alex's accident, and will continue on for the family and friends. I am truly sorry for your loss & you have my heartfelt sympathy.

"Let him return to the days of his youthful vigor." -Job 33:25

Anonymous said...

Oh my God.... I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know your in my thoughts and prayers!! My love to you all. Terri Funk

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your (our) loss of Alex - He's such a great kid! We will continue to keep everyone in our thoughts and prayers. May God hold you thru this tragic time and know that Alex will always be with you.
The Scott Davis Family

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some words to say that would take away everyone's pain (including my own) but I don't. So I'll say this...I am sorry you've all had to go through this. It doesn't seem fair. I went to school with Alex since kindergarten. What a great person he was. Funny, caring, honest, I could go on but if you're reading this you already know it to be true. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone that loved Alex, which is a lot of people.

Love and God Bless,
Tori

Anonymous said...

To the whole family:
My prayers are surrounding all of you. How wonderful, though that you could touch the lives of others through donations from Alex. What a blessing to those who needed it. He sounds like he was a great young man.
Sincerely,
Karen Canfield (friend of Anita's)